Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Closest to God




"I am the Lord your God;... 'Do not be afraid; I will help you.'"
- (Isaiah 41:13)

One night Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., was just about to doze off when the phone rang. A voice on the other end said, "Listen, nigger, we'ev taken all we want from you. Before next week, you'll be sorry you ever came to Montgomery." Dr. King hung up. Suddenly all his fears came crashing down on him. He got up and heated a pot of coffee. Then he sat down at the kitchen table, bowed his head and prayed: "People are looking to me for leadership, and if I stand before them without strength and courage, they too will falter. I am at the end of my powers. I have nothing left. I'ev come to the point where I can't face it alone." At that moment, Dr. King felt God's presence as he had never felt before.

When do I feel closest to God:in time of need, joy, love, or prayer?
I know not where His islands liftTheir fronded palms in air;
I only know I cannot drift
Beyond His loving care
- John Grenleaf Whittier

No comments:

Post a Comment